Note: Beginning with the Summer 2023 term, ProctorU will be transitioning to the ProctorU Guardian Browser. Students will no longer utilize a Chrome or Firefox extension when accessing exams through ProctorU. Students will now access their exams through the ProctorU Guardian Browser. Please allow at least 30 minutes for installation and troubleshooting.
For Courses Using Third-Party (non-Canvas) Exam Platforms
The information on this page is for students enrolled in Global Campus courses that are using Third-Party Exam Platforms. Additional courses may be added to this list as exam set up is finalized.
Note: Students will pay $10 per ProctorU session for the courses listed below.
IMPORTANT: Students enrolled in the courses listed below must schedule their exams with ProctorU in advance.
- ACCTG 231 (nbr 12777)
- BIOLOGY 354 (nbr 12474)
- MGTOP 215 (nbrs 12791, 12795)
This is a guide for students taking virtual proctored exams in the Global Campus courses listed above.
ProctorU, WSU’s trusted virtual proctoring service, allows you to take your exam from the comfort of your home. You will need a high-speed internet connection, a webcam (internal or external), a Windows or Apple operating system, and a government-issued photo ID (or WSU student ID card).
Students enrolled in the courses listed above must schedule their exams with ProctorU in advance.
- Students will pay $10 per ProctorU session.
- If you schedule your exam within 72 hours of taking it, or reschedule your exam within 72 hours of your initial exam time, you will be charged a $8-12 premium scheduling fee.
Note: Students CANNOT use Chromebooks for virtual proctored exams. If that is your only option, notify your instructor as soon as possible.
Follow the steps below to get set up, schedule, and prepare to take your exam with ProctorU.
Before Exam Day: Get Started and Schedule Your Exam
Students must access their exam through the ProctorU Guardian Browser in order to use ProctorU. Download and install the ProctorU Guardian Browser to your operating system. Allow at least 30 minutes for installation and troubleshooting.
Create your ProctorU account, if you have not created one previously.
- Visit goproctorU.com and select Test-Taker, or select the ProctorU tool in your course space to create your account.
- Be sure to list your WSU email as your email address.
- You can set your time zone based on where you live and take exams. ProctorU time zone information
When creating your account, be sure to list your WSU email as your email address.
Check and test your equipment to make sure your system is compatible with ProctorU. Please test with the computer you plan to use for your exams, and if possible in a similar environment that you will be testing in (time of day, location, bandwidth usage).
Devices not supported:
- Students CANNOT use Chromebooks for virtual proctored exams. If that is your only option, notify your instructor as soon as possible.
- Tablets (Nexus, iPad, Tab, Note, etc.)
- Linux operating systems
- Windows 10 in S mode or Surface RT
IMPORTANT: Students enrolled in the courses listed at the top of this page must schedule their exams with ProctorU in advance.
- Use the scheduling link provided in your course space to schedule your exam. Select the link for the exam you wish to schedule, then schedule a date and time to take your exam.
- Students will pay $10 per ProctorU session.
- If you schedule the exam within 72 hours of the exam beginning you will be charged a $8 premium scheduling fee. If you schedule within 24 hours of the exam beginning you will be charged a $12 premium scheduling fee.
- When scheduling an exam, schedule based on the time zone that you will be located in at the time of your exam. ProctorU time zone information
- Once you schedule a date and time, a countdown timer will display on your ProctorU dashboard. If you need to reschedule your exam, you can do so.
- After you schedule your exam, you will receive a reservation confirmation email. In addition, 48 hours before your exam time you will receive a reservation reminder email.
- Each email will include a confirmation of the time and date you have scheduled, information to help you prepare to take your exam including a link to the ProctorU Pre Exam Checklist video, and support information.
- The “Start Session” button will remain available for 15 minutes from your scheduled appointment time. If you do not show up for your scheduled appointment, your session will be canceled and you will need to reschedule.
The environment needs to be quiet, well- lit, and away from other people. The workspace area needs to be free of any materials not allowed on the exam. It’s preferable to choose a hard surface for a workspace rather than a bed or couch.
On Exam Day
- Be located in a private, well-lit room with no one else around you.
- Choose a hard surface for your workspace (rather than a bed or couch).
- Clear your workspace from all materials except those allowed by your instructor.
- Remove any non-religious head coverings (i.e., baseball cap), headphones, and smartwatches.
- Have your photo ID with you. You’ll be asked to show a government-issued photo ID (a valid driver’s license, state ID, passport, or WSU student ID) during the ID check.
- Make sure you’ve downloaded the ProctorU Guardian Browser (Step 1 above).
- Test your equipment. Visit go.procotorU.com and select Test My Equipment, or select Test Your Equipment from your ProctorU home page.
- Save and close all applications except for the ProctorU Guardian Browser prior to connecting, including additional browser sessions, Microsoft applications, and chat programs.
This process will likely take between 8 to 10 minutes unless you experience technical difficulties, in which case ProctorU will assist you. This time is not subtracted from the time you’re allowed in your exam.
- When it’s time for your exam, log in to your ProctorU account.
- Navigate to the My Sessions page and note the countdown timer showing how much time remains before your appointment.
- Select Start when the timer reaches 00:00. Note: The “Start Session” button will remain available for 15 minutes from your scheduled appointment time. If you do not show up for your scheduled appointment, your session will be canceled and you will need to reschedule.
- Download the LogMeIn software when prompted.
- Run the program once it’s downloaded. This will connect you to your proctor.
- The proctor will guide you step-by-step in the start-up process, which includes verifying your identity and securing your testing location.
- The proctor will enter the password for you to begin the exam. (Your exam time does NOT begin until you’re entered into the test by the proctor.)
Help and Support
ProctorU live support is available if you are having trouble getting connected or have other issues preventing you from taking an exam. Connect with ProctorU Support using any of the following methods: