Spring 2021 Preparing for Your ProctorU Session
This information is for students enrolled in the following Global Campus 2021 Spring courses:
- MATH 103 (nbr 9745, 2989)
- MATH 225 (nbr 14898)
- MGTOP 215 (nbr 9895, 10823, 12366)
IMPORTANT: Students enrolled in the courses listed above must schedule their exams with ProctorU in advance.
This is a guide for students taking virtual proctored exams in the Global Campus 2021 Spring courses listed above.
ProctorU, WSU’s trusted third party virtual proctoring service, allows you to take your exam from the comfort of your home. You will need a high-speed internet connection, a webcam (internal or external), a Windows or Apple operating system, and a government-issued photo ID (or WSU student ID card).
Students enrolled in the courses listed above must schedule their exams with ProctorU in advance.
- You will not be charged a fee, but you must schedule your exam with ProctorU at least 72 hours before you plan to take your exam.
- If you schedule your exam within 72 hours of taking it, or reschedule your exam within 72 hours of your initial exam time, you will be charged a $8-12 premium scheduling fee.
Note: Students CANNOT use Chromebooks for virtual proctored third-party exams. If that is your only option, notify your instructor as soon as possible.
Follow the steps below to get set up, schedule, and prepare to take your exam with ProctorU.
You’ll need to make sure that you are using the latest version of Google Chrome. Download Chrome.
ProctorU requires an extension that needs to be added to Chrome. Downloading it takes about 30 seconds, and you’ll only need to do it once.
Important: If you have the Proctorio extension on your browser, you must remove the extension in order for the ProctorU extension to work.
Create your ProctorU account, if you have not created one previously.
- Visit goproctorU.com and select Test-Taker, or in your Blackboard Learn course space select the ProctorU tool to create your account.
- Be sure to list your WSU email as your email address.
- You can set your time zone based on where you live and take exams. ProctorU time zone information
When creating your account, be sure to list your WSU email as your email address.
Check and test your equipment to make sure your system is compatible with ProctorU. Please test with the computer you plan to use for your exams, and if possible in a similar environment that you will be testing in (time of day, location, bandwidth usage).
Devices not supported:
- Students CANNOT use Chromebooks for virtual proctored third-party exams. If that is your only option, notify your instructor as soon as possible.
- Tablets (Nexus, iPad, Tab, Note, etc.)
- Linux operating systems
- Windows 10 in S mode or Surface RT
Note: The information provided on the ProctorU website references Firefox. For WSU Exams, students MUST use Chrome
- Camera Troubleshooting
- Microphone Troubleshooting
- How to Disconnect Multiple Monitors/Displays – You are only allowed to use one monitor attached to one computer during your exam.
Notice for MacOS X Catalina and Big Sur users: If you are running MacOS Catalina, version 10.15 or later, or any version of Big Sur, you must grant Google Chrome access to Screen Recording permission in order to share your screen for a proctored session with ProctorU. MacOS X Catalina and Big Sur: How to enable screen sharing for your browser
IMPORTANT: Students enrolled in the courses listed at the top of this page must schedule their exams with ProctorU in advance.
- In your course space, select the ProctorU link located in your course menu. Select the link for the exam you wish to schedule, then schedule a date and time to take your exam.
- You will not be charged a fee if you schedule your exam with ProctorU at least 72 hours before you plan to take your exam.
- If you schedule the exam within 72 hours of the exam beginning you will be charged a $8 premium scheduling fee. If you schedule within 24 hours of the exam beginning you will be charged a $12 premium scheduling fee.
- When scheduling an exam, schedule based on the time zone that you will be located in at the time of your exam. ProctorU time zone information
- Once you schedule a date and time, a countdown timer will display on your ProctorU dashboard. If you need to reschedule your exam, you can do so.
- After you schedule your exam, you will receive a reservation confirmation email. In addition, 48 hours before your exam time you will receive a reservation reminder email.
- Each email will include a confirmation of the time and date you have scheduled, information to help you prepare to take your exam including a link to the ProctorU Pre Exam Checklist video, and support information.
- The “Start Session” button will remain available for 15 minutes from your scheduled appointment time. If you do not show up for your scheduled appointment, your session will be canceled and you will need to reschedule.
The environment needs to be quiet, well- lit, and away from other people. The workspace area needs to be free of any materials not allowed on the exam. It’s preferable to choose a hard surface for a workspace rather than a bed or couch.
- Be located in a private, well-lit room with no one else around you.
- Choose a hard surface for your workspace (rather than a bed or couch).
- Clear your workspace from all materials except those allowed by your instructor.
- Remove any non-religious head coverings (i.e., baseball cap), headphones, and smartwatches.
- Have your photo ID with you. You’ll be asked to show a government-issued photo ID (a valid driver’s license, state ID, passport, or WSU student ID) during the ID check.
- Make sure you’ve downloaded the ProctorU extension for Chrome.
- Test your equipment. Visit go.procotorU.com and select Test My Equipment, or select Test Your Equipment from your ProctorU home page.
- Save and close all applications except for your Chrome browser prior to connecting, including additional browser sessions, Microsoft applications, and chat programs.
This process will likely take between 2 to 5 minutes unless you experience technical difficulties, in which case ProctorU will assist you. This time is not subtracted from the time you’re allowed in your exam.
- When it’s time for your exam, log in to your ProctorU account.
- Navigate to the My Sessions page and note the countdown timer showing how much time remains before your appointment.
- Select Start when the timer reaches 00:00. Note: The “Start Session” button will remain available for 15 minutes from your scheduled appointment time. If you do not show up for your scheduled appointment, your session will be canceled and you will need to reschedule.
- Download the LogMeIn software when prompted.
- Run the program once it’s downloaded. This will connect you to your proctor.
- The proctor will guide you step-by-step in the start-up process, which includes verifying your identity and securing your testing location.
- The proctor will enter the password for you to begin the exam. (Your exam time does NOT begin until you’re entered into the test by the proctor.)
ProctorU live support is available if you are having trouble getting connected or have other issues preventing you from taking an exam. Connect with ProctorU Support using any of the following methods: