Fall 2020 Preparing for Your ProctorU Session
Note: For the fall 2020 term, there is no cost to students for virtual proctoring.
Welcome! This is a guide for students taking their proctored exams with ProctorU, a trusted third party virtual proctoring service. With ProctorU, you can take your exam from the comfort of your home. You will need a high-speed internet connection, a webcam (internal or external), a Windows or Apple operating system, and a government-issued photo ID (or WSU student ID card). ProctorU is available 24/7.
You cannot schedule your exam—when you are ready simply take your exam anytime during the dates your instructor has determined.
Follow the steps below to get set up and ready to take your exam with ProctorU. When creating your account, be sure to list your WSU email as your email address.
You’ll need to make sure that you are using the latest version of Google Chrome. Download Chrome.
ProctorU requires an extension that needs to be added to Chrome. Downloading it takes about 30 seconds, and you’ll only need to do it once.
Important: If you have any other proctor extension on your browser, you must turn off or remove the extension in order for the ProctorU extension to work.
Create your ProctorU account. In your course space, accessed through the LMS (Blackboard or Canvas), select the ProctorU tool to create your account.
When creating your account, be sure to list your WSU email as your email address.
Check and test your equipment to make sure your system is compatible with ProctorU.
- Check ProctorU Equipment Requirements
- Test your equipment. You can also select Test Your Equipment from your ProctorU tool in your course space.
Chromebooks can be used to complete exams housed in Blackboard or Canvas and proctored by ProctorU. Chromebooks are compatible with ProctorU exams located in Blackboard or Canvas. However, at this time Chromebooks will not pass ProctorU’s Test My Equipment check. ProctorU is currently working to provide more information due to this disconnect.
Devices not supported:
- Tablets (Nexus, iPad, Tab, Note, etc.)
- Linux operating systems
- Windows 10 in S mode or Surface RT
Notice for MacOS X Catalina users: If you are running MacOS Catalina, version 10.15 or later, you must grant Google Chrome access to Screen Recording permission in order to share your screen for a proctored session with ProctorU. MacOS X Catalina: How to enable screen sharing for your browser
The environment needs to be quiet, well- lit, and away from other people. The workspace area needs to be free of any materials not allowed on the exam. It’s preferable to choose a hard surface for a workspace rather than a bed or couch.
- Prior to taking your exam:
- Make sure you’ve downloaded the ProctorU extension for Chrome (Step 2 above).
- Test your equipment. Visit go.proctorU.com and select Test My Equipment, or select Test Your Equipment from your ProctorU home page.
- Have your photo ID with you. You’ll be asked to show a government-issued photo ID (a valid driver’s license, state ID, passport, or WSU student ID) during the ID check.
- Get your testing workspace ready:
- Be located in a private, well-lit room with no one else around you.
- Choose a hard surface for your workspace (rather than a bed or couch).
- Clear your workspace from all materials except those allowed by your instructor.
- Close all third-party programs and unplug any secondary monitors.
- Remove any non-religious head coverings (i.e., baseball cap), headphones, and smart watches.
This video walkthrough will guide you through the ProctorU startup process so you can be prepared on the day of your exam: ProctorU Demo For Test-Takers video
Actions and behaviors that will be flagged during an exam:
- Talking aloud: Unless you have an accommodation, talking or whispering aloud during the exam is not permitted.
- Being out of camera view: Your face, chin to forehead, needs to be in the camera view at all times.
- Anyone entering your testing area: You may not have anyone else in your testing location with you.
- Anyone talking to you while you’re in your testing area: Additional noises, including other people talking to you, while you’re in your exam are not allowed.
- Looking off-screen: If you aren’t allowed any materials, your eyes should stay on the screen at all times while testing.
- Utilizing materials that are not allowed: You’re only allowed the permitted materials allowed by your instructor.
- Taking pictures or screenshots of the exam: Taking pictures while in your exam, including screenshots, is not permitted.
- Copying and pasting any elements of the exam: In most cases, ProctorU will not allow you to copy and paste any content from your exam. Regardless of whether you can or cannot perform this function, ProctorU will capture all events of copy and paste that occur.
- Utilizing a virtual machine: Virtual machines can be detected through the pre-exam system check, and are not permitted.
- Utilizing a secondary monitor: You are only allowed to use one monitor attached to one computer during your exam.
This process will likely take between 2 to 5 minutes unless you experience technical difficulties, in which case ProctorU will assist you. This time is not subtracted from the time you’re allowed in your exam.
- You cannot schedule your exam. When you’re ready to take your exam, log in to the LMS, navigate to your course space, and select the ProctorU link from the course menu. Make sure you are launching ProctorU from within the course space. Do not open ProctorU in a separate tab.
- Once logged in to your ProctorU account through the link in the course menu, navigate to the exam in the course space. When starting your exam through the course space, you should be directed to the ProctorU pre-checks.
- Pre-checks: This video walkthrough will guide you through the ProctorU startup process: ProctorU Pre-Check Demo For Test-Takers video
- If you don’t already have the ProctorU extension, you will see a statement with a link to download the extension.
- You’ll be required to accept the exam guidelines and terms of service.
- The browser will prompt you to share your screen, a required part of being proctored online.
- You’ll be automatically guided through a series of equipment checks to make sure your system meets minimum requirements.
- Photos and Authentication: You’ll take a photo of yourself as well as your ID for identity verification purposes.
- Exam Rule Acceptance: You will be required to review and accept the exam rules outlined by your instructor.
- Take Your Exam: Select Begin Exam to start your exam when you’re ready. NOTE: Your webcam view and your screen will be recorded through the duration of your exam.
- Did you set up your ProctorU account with your WSU email address?
- Are you in Google Chrome?
- Do you have the ProctorU Chrome extension installed? Is it enabled?
- If you are being asked for a password, the extension is either not installed correctly or not enabled.
- Do you have popups blocked?
- Did you select the ProctorU link on the left menu before attempting to begin the exam?
- Note: You only need to do this once. You will NOT access the exams this way.
- Is ProctorU not showing you the option to schedule your exam?
- Hint: It’s not supposed to. ProctorU offers on-demand test taking so scheduling in advance is not needed. You can take an exam with ProctorU 24/7, during the exam availability.
- Navigate back to your course space to start your exam.
ProctorU live support is available if you are having trouble getting connected or have other issues preventing you from taking an exam. Connect with ProctorU Support using any of the following methods: